Monday, June 27, 2011

half marathon check

so i know this is weeks and weeks and weeks late but thought i'd post it anyway since i wrote it.

In November, while I was in China, I made a goal that I was going to run a half marathon sometime in the next year. When I returned home I began training. Whitney, Cami, and I signed up to run the Provo City Half Marathon on May 7th. Whit made us a training chart and was my personal trainer for the next 5 months. We did small runs during the week which consisted of 3-4 miles and then on Saturdays were our big runs 5,6,7,8,9,10,11...miles. Surprisingly they weren't too bad. Training really does help make it easier. haha. 

The weather has been quite cold January-May so we learned to run in rain, snow....but not heat. Apparently my body doesn't like that. 

On the morning of May 7th Cami, Whit, Dallin, and I gathered together at the starting line. We had so much adrenaline and were so excited. I was actually doing it, I couldn't believe it. I was going to run 13.1 miles and complete my goal of running a half marathon. We began and stuck close to the 2 hr mile marker lady. We kept up with her until about mile 7 then we slowed down a bit. We did not walk at all though, we ran the entire race! Cami's ipod died on about mile 4 :( that was sad. And at about mile 11 I started to feel REALLY hot and tired, but not tired of running. My legs could've gone on and on and on forever it felt like but my eyes were going to close. I was literally going to fall asleep while running. Whitney kept saying "oh come on Michelle, we've trained for this. It's mental, you can do it!" So I just kept telling myself, "IT'S MENTAL, IT'S MENTAL!" When really I didn't think it was. I WAS REALLY HOT. The last part of the race went up and over the train tracks on University Ave. When I began running up I turned it on. I was in front of Whitney and Cami and couldn't see anything but the finish line. When we started going down the hill I was nervous, I kept repeating in my head "Please don't fall Michelle." Then apparently I crossed the finish line. And stopped running a little too quickly. After running 13.1 miles and stopping so fast we all felt like we were going to faint but Whit and Cam were doing better than I was. I couldn't keep my balance, and my face looked like a dead person. I could hear my mom freaking out and I remember saying "Mom, I'm fine." and she'd reply back "No you're not." Next thing I know people are shoving bananas in my face and energy gel stuff and I'm sitting there in a chair swaying back and close to passing out. Next thing I know I'm laying down and cold water is being poured all over me and ice packs are being shoved under my armpits and on my neck and on my belly and arms...basically everywhere. I had a temperature of 105.8. I knew I was hotter than normal! I was so embarrassed and kept thinking "oh my gosh why did this have to happen to me." My family was gathered around the first aid tent I was in and Mick and some of his family, they were all so worried, and I was so embarrassed. After they got my temperature down and got me to drink some gatorade and water I felt completely fine. I got up and got myself some free Magelby's Fresh french toast. Oh boy was it yummy.

After a long run my toes are always sore, but it's never too bad. My toes were feeling quite sore and when I took off my shoes and socks I found out why. My poor little second toe on my left foot was purple. I was quite scared when I looked at it. I couldn't believe something that ugly was attached to my body. It freaked me out. It hurts! The whole top of my little toe is basically a blood blister. Cami had gotten quite a few blisters and so had Dallin but I was the only lucky one to end with heat stroke and a purple toe :) lucky me.

Even though that experience doesn't sound too pleasant. It was. I enjoyed it, I really did. I completed the Provo City Half Marathon in 2 hours and 12 minutes in 50th place! Oh boy was I proud of myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment