Wednesday, December 22, 2010

our first time to Bengbu

I’m actually not living in Bengbu City. Bengbu is about 30 minutes away. Mary our native coordinator and Jeff one of the other foreigner teachers from the Philippines took us in to town for the first time. We took 3 different buses to get there. Jeff was so cute and reminded us quite a few times throughout the trip that we were in China now so we needed to keep out bags and money close to us.

When we got to the City they helped us trade out American money to Chinese. The bank was crowded and we had such a long wait but because Mary “knows people” she got us to the front of the line and we didn’t have to wait long at all. Thank goodness for her! At this point all eyes were on us and people were getting super close to my face, kind of invading my personal space. I think most of them had never seen an American. My blonde hair was sure a hit. I’m trying to get used to all the attention but it’s not my most favorite thing. I can’t do much about it though, I stand out here.



Next we went to the market. This market had everything. It’s an indoor market and has many floors. You can find pretty much anything you would like but don’t count on the food tasting anything like American food. We spent a few hours there. We 7 girls sure like to shop!

It was lunchtime and we decided to try out a little dumpling place that was just outside of the market. The whole menu was in Chinese of course so Mary helped us each individually order. My first choice was vegetable dumplings because I have a hard time eating the meat here but they didn’t have those. Then I decided to try chicken noodles, they didn’t have those. So Mary just decided to order for me and got me Beef Noodles and pork dumplings. They weren’t bad but it’s going to take some time for me to get used to all the new tastes of China.


We took our fist taxi ride back to the school because we had so many bags from shopping. We had a girl taxi driver and Jeff came with Cami, Rachel, and I to help communicate. The driving here in China just makes me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment